Perfect for my Meatless Mondays…
Quinoa, is known as “the mother of all grains”, and I can see why. It is considered a whole grain that is packed with vitamins and nutrients, and extremely versatile in the kitchen. (I’m already jotting down all the recipes I want to try). Then there are the potential health benefits from incorporating more Quinoa into your daily diet.
I read an extremely informational article of the health benefits of Quinoa on Medical News Today.
Check it out, but do not forget to come back and check out my recipe. It was so amazing… I failed at getting a decent picture before I ate them all up. But hey, at least I managed to write down the recipe for you all 🙂
Quinoa ‘Meatless’ Meatballs
1/2 C. red onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 C. Quinoa, cooked
1 egg yolk
1/2 C. panko (whole wheat)
1/2 tbsp basil
1/2 tbsp parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cook Quinoa according to package directions, reserve 1/2 Cup cooked
- Take 1/2 C. Quinoa and drain excess water with paper towel, let cool before adding ingredients
- Saute sliced and diced veggies in EVOO until tender, add spices and herbs
- Once Quinoa is cooled add in veggies, panko, and egg
- Heat skillet with EVOO on medium and CAREFULLY add quinoa balls
- Brown a little on each side and enjoy!
WAIT!!! I have some helpful tips…
- Careful when forming the quinoa balls, they are quick to fall apart. I held mine in one hand and formed a fist around them for a couple seconds
- Some cites recommend cooling the mixture overnight…I was too hungry
- The quinoa was EVERYWHERE. I lost so much in the process, and it stuck to everything, so clean up quickly.
Let me know if you love them, hate them, or have helpful tips for me working with quinoa.
Thanks for joining the Craziness